Thursday, November 2, 2023

 WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES!

That's the name of an old love song, but today I'm not going to explore romance--I want to talk about how much can happen in "24 little hours."

For instance:

  • trees that last week had a full compliment of leaves--all colors, including green, are now nearly completely naked
  • what used to be a shade tree is now a skeleton--still lovely in its own way, but definitely providing no shade whatsoever
  • last week I wore a lightweight denim shirt for a jacket when I went outside; today, I've broken out the lined winter coat that's long enough to cover my tush
  • also rummaged through the closet for a long scarf to wind around my neck a couple or three times
  • along with the longer lined gloves that have been waiting their turn
  • and, to round out the chilly-days wardrobe, the ear warmers (like ear muffs but worn around the back of the neck instead of over the top of the head)
And that's not all. Our current menu has shifted into winter mode:
  • Tuscan Bean Soup--full of turkey sausage, cannellini beans, onion, chicken broth, and a bunch of spices and herbs
  • rice and pasta dishes: risotto; mac 'n' cheese
  • a few frozen dinners - we're partial to Saffron Road oriental meals with rice--dinner in less than less than 8 minutes in the microwave
  • also gluten-free pot pies--best done in the conventional oven to brown the pastry
  • and the ever-present roast chicken and roast veggies
-----
I'll admit, all the above didn't happen in a 24-hour period. But it sure seemed like it. Remember the old saying? "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it'll change." Well, right now, it's "If you don't like the season, wait a day or two and it'll get worse."

We're definitely on the slide down to the winter solstice. October flew by. November is a shorter month, with things going on (elections, Thanksgiving dinner, a family birthday), including the preparations many people make for Christmas. (We often see folks hanging their outdoor lights on Thanksgiving Day afternoon.)

-----
In order to hang onto whatever grip I have on reality, I try to go with the flow of the 24 hours. Do what I can--what needs to be done--maybe even do some early prep for a later 24-hour period. So if you don't see much of me, remember--I might be inside the house trying to keep up with the differences that rush my way that day.

Wishing you the fortitude you need to press forward.

Blessings,
Thursday's Child



2 comments:

  1. After the frost, the falling leaves sounded like rain outside, didn't they? Stay warm, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, staying warm is a priority...can't believe it's so chilly already...or maybe I'm just not caught up with the calendar!

      Delete