Thursday, June 27, 2024

 UNDERLYING ASSUMPTIONS

Chain-O-Lakes 
State Park
When we were growing up, we heard many subtle--and not-so-subtle--messages.

Today I want to explore some of those sayings we heard over and over, but only good ones. Positive ones. Like these:

  • every cloud has a silver lining (1912 song)
  • keep your sunny side up (words from a popular song-1920s)
  • never give in (Winston Churchill's famous message-1941)
  • find a 4-leaf clover, have good luck (1927 song)
  • look on the bright side (no particular era)
Did you notice? Every one of these has a built-in assumption: that there's a good thing going--somewhre. Even Churchill's "never give in" assumes that we might be entertaining just walking away and letting the chips fall where they may; but he says, "Never!"

I'll be #1 to admit--sometimes the first reaction I have to a situation that throws me for a loop  is, well, to put it nicely, negative. Can I see the good in a bad situation?

For example, let's assume bad news came in the mail today--say, a notice that my electricity is going to be cut off due to non-payment of my bill. Really!?! Not true! I yell. Not true! And I know it's not true because my utility bill is on automatic payment with my bank. And with the city. Hard to find my sunny side or the bright side, or any old silver lining. Because my first reaction is to yell--and that elevates my BP several notches, my heart rate increases, and my fists are clenching and unclenching at an alarming rate.

(Only slight exaggerations in that paragraph, folks. Not to worry.)

Or what about this: Severe thunderstorms forecast for today, starting at 10 AM and continuing through 2 PM--high winds--damaging hail possible . . . . And there's supposed to be a bright side here? I don't think so. Yes, I know we need the rain--but high winds bring down limbs; and hail damage--with our cars sitting out on the street (not much off-street parking in this neighborhood) we'll be looking at insurance reports, repairs, perhaps renting a car--you get the picture.

-----



Like the leopard, I doubt that I'll change (all) my spots, but I can have a go at some attitude adjustment. Some of these suggestions are going to sound silly, but read through them and you may find that some resonate with you.

  • dial back on instant response mode until I get the whole picture
  • talk to somebody else--get a second opinion
  • and while I'm heading down a dark, nasty rabbit hole, stop reading past the headlines when news comes up on my phone (headlines are disturbing enough, never mind the details)
  • find some "good news" options--CNN has a weekly feature called "The Good Stuff"--and it's nearly guaranteed to get you thinking positively about life in other places
  • look for books written by people who can laugh at themselves (Erma Bombeck was superb at this and she wasn't the only one)
  • other books that may be worth a smile/giggle/guffaw come from folks who make their living making people laugh; last year we read Betty White's autobiography--short little stories (only a couple of pages) and always with a laugh along the way
-----
So if you're feeling short-changed in the four-leaf clover department, look for smiles elsewhere.

And remember, you don't have to laugh all day long. Or even every day. Your goal should be to get out in the light of day. While you're at it, smell the roses. Or the espresso. Or the herbs in the neighbor's garden. "Lighten your day"--in more ways than one.

I'll join you!

Blessings,
Thursday's Child

Note: Today's photos were taken by Jan Roser at Chain-O-Lakes State Park in northeast Indiana. Thanks for sharing, Jan!

Chain-O-Lakes
State Park



No comments:

Post a Comment