Thursday, February 8, 2018

BOOK REPORT

School has been back in session for a few weeks, and I've heard that some students had books to read over their holiday break. So, in keeping with the school spirit, here's my book report for the last quarter of 2017.

October
8 mysteries
2 romances
2 never-before-read books!! (More on these later)
Total - 12

November
7 mysteries
5 Christmas stories
Total - 12

December
3 mysteries
3 Christmas stories
1 non-fiction
Total - 7

-----
The new reads for me were:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Shaffer and Barrows
The Woman Who Smashed Codes, by Jason Fagone

(These were discussed in detail in the November 2 post.)

-----
Books are among my favor gifts to give. This past Christmas I learned one of my greatgrands is reading The Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer. I gave her Book 3, A Grimm Warning; and I heard later that she was discovered reading it instead of eating her Christmas dinner.

My Ohio daughter works with healing herbs, so I got her a huge encyclopedia of herbal information that she refers to often. Her other gift was The Pioneer Woman Cookbook--she's already used recipes out of that one.

Books are also favorites to receive. Before my birthday arrived in January I'd already received All My Relations: Living with Animals as Teachers and Healers, by Susan Chernak McElroy.

-----
Not all experiences come from books. Yes, I love reading and owning books. But they'll never take the place of interacting with people in my town, my church, my family.



Once the weather settles down--I've had more than one week of staying in the house for five straight days--I'll get back to the Y for exercise; my sewing group for our joint projects of making blankets, hats, and pillow cases for the NICU; and my church for Sunday services.

If you were stuck inside for days on end, I hope you had enjoyable times to share with others. Or a good book to read. Or a movie or two to make you chuckle or think a little.

-----
My reading tally for 2017 was 163 books. Many, many re-reads, because those books were like comfort food, without the calories. 

And I have to say--I'm thrilled to quit writing down every single title I've read! That takes time away from, um, reading.

P.S.--I thought about telling you the dog/cat/hamster ate my homework, which is why my book report is late. But unfortunately you already know I no longer have a dog or cat or hamster. I'll have to think of a new excuse.

Have a lovely week--read if you want to--shovel snow if you live up here in the snow belt--or enjoy your snow-free climate.



Mesa, AZ Arts Center


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your reading tally. I gave up keeping track, but didn't get beyond my 50 goal. I have developed an unfortunate habit of not finishing many of those I start. The snow-free climate sounds better and better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for snow-free also.
    As for not finishing books, why waste your time on something that bores you? Or offends you? Not an unfortunate habit...you're a discerning reader. Embrace it. (And stay warm!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about the Great Reading Challenge of 2017 lately. Lots of Facebook posts about it a year ago, but I haven't seen any tallies until now. I read 54 books and numerous Guideposts magazines, plus a few books I didn't get clear through. Your total is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember--I don't have a job, I live alone w/o pets, and reading is a way for me to chill out for a little while. My December tally was pretty skimpy, because I was sewing my fingers to the bone on gifts. If I had a job...maybe no reading at all. :/(

    ReplyDelete