Thursday, September 27, 2018

NEW RIDE!


She's not my little deuce coupe, and I won't ask her to do 140 . . . but she's a sweet ride!

I discovered there's nothing like having no vehicle to make me feel that I don't belong to the world at all.

Last week's day-by-day replay for you had a lovely ending when I picked up my new vehicle on Friday.

So far she's been to church, to my usual shopping stores, to the P.O. drop box, and the bank. Last night she took me to see my Ohio daughter who works in a nearby town.

Today--big trip!--we're taking friend Jane to Shipshewana, Indiana, a quilting and craft mecca in the heart of Amish country.

So far, my new baby has no name. Would you like to suggest names for her? Here are her specifications:

     - Chevrolet Equinox, 5 years old
     - Silver
     - AWD, nice CD player, back-up camera (never had one of those)
     - great gas mileage (another luxury for me)
     - more seat positions than I thought possible, and lumbar support
     - and more bells and whistles than I've had time to explore

Drop us an email or visit in the Comment section below. Your email addy and any other personal info will not appear on the 'Web, just your name.




-----
While we're on the subject of naming a car, I'll segue into the subject of anthropomorphism. 

Anthropomorphism has been around probably as long as the planet Earth. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, it is "the attribution of human traits, emotions, or intentions to non-human entities."

Do you talk to your computer? Your car? Your refrigerator/television/lawn mower? Your dog/cat/horse/iguana?

Do you treat those non-human entities as if they could answer your questions, respond to your commands (animals will sometimes do this), or explain why they aren't in the mood to do what you're asking of them? (In my experience, computers are about as moody as a 13-year-old with zits.)

You've probably read a number of fiction works that rely on or employ anthropomorphism. Here are some examples I found when I researched the subject:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865) by Lewis Carroll

The Adventures of Pinocchio (1883) by Carlo Collodi
The Jungle Book (1894) by Rudyard Kipling

The Tale of Peter Rabbit (1901) and later books by Beatrix Potter

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (1908)
Winnie-the-Pooh (1926) and The House at Pooh Corner (1928) by A. A. Milne
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (1950) and the subsequent books in The Chronicles of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis
The Hobbit (1937) and The Lord of the Rings (1954–1955), both by J. R. R. Tolkien

Fiction, fantasy, fairy tale--all employ anthropomorphism.

Also--movies:

The Wizard of Oz
E.T.
The Lion King
Star Wars
Harry Potter and the . . . .

-----
While you're thinking up great names for the Equinox (my new car, remember?), I'll get out the manual and see if I can ring some of the bells and sound the whistles. Next time we meet, I'll give you an update.





4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the land of Equinoxes! I can't believe how many people I know drive them. I have since 2011 and am on the hunt for a new one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine. And I'm glad to have you in a safe place on wheels. Enjoy Shipshewana! Where are you having lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I really want to know is, what color is it???
    As for names, Here are a few (with nicknames) off the top of my head (now where did that saying come from?).
    Solstice (Sol)
    Autumnal (Ott)
    Vernal (Vern)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. color is silver--right under the make and model

      Delete
    2. thanks for the suggestions, Dori--I'll take them into consideration

      Delete