Thursday, October 25, 2018

ODDS & ENDS
from Autumn 2016

The past week has been an odds-and-ends experience. Every day seemed to hold a little of this and a little of that to be done, or prepared for, or thought about.

It was, actually, a break from non-stop appointments to have my eyes, teeth, heart, and total bod examined/tsked over/prescribed for.

Now I feel as if I'm in a place where I can take a deep breath.

-----
The week just ended (Thursday's Child's week runs Thursday morning to Wednesday night) saw plenty of action, but it was all small stuff. And you know what they say about the small stuff--don't sweat it.

So I didn't.

Here are some samples of small stuff:

--transferring my previous car license plate to my current ride; I'd just renewed my plate in August not long before my 18-year-old Buick bit the dust 

--ordering a certified copy of my marriage license to establish why my current name is different from my birth certificate. This is a new requirement of the State of Indiana to procure a "Real ID" driver's license that will fly anywhere. (Doubt that I'll fly off to Rio, nor even off the handle, but if I do, I'll have a photo ID that will get me through security spots.

--buying money orders for certified copies that can't be paid for, via US mail, with a personal check; only cash or money order. (Do people really send cash through the mail nowadays!? My only cash in the mail is in a birthday card to the greatgrands.)

--taking boxes of books to the library annex to donate for the monthly Friends of the Library sales.

--moving tote upon tote filled with sewing paraphernalia into a back room to lighten the load for the guys when they come to move furniture and the BIG totes so they can rip out the existing carpet and replace it with vinyl planking. And--to keep the current-use totes of fabric from getting lost in the construction shuffle.



from Autumn 2016

-----
Non-small stuff included:

--playing the church service last Sunday (my schedule is all Sundays except one, so 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5). This is only a big thing because I prepare for it each week, practicing at home until I go to church on Fridays for Heart & Hands--then I practice a half hour before we sew, and another half hour after.

--staying home for the furnace man to come and inspect the boiler, clean up whatever he needed to, and give me the thumbs-up for winter.

--going to a church meeting about our congregation's outreach programs; I reported on the progress of Heart & Hands (313 items made by us and donated to the NICU since January of this year).

-----
This whole list of small and non-small activities shows me how full my life is.

Is it possible to get bored? Well, I suppose it is. I rarely do, though. Mostly what I get is buried under the pages of my Today Lists. That's when I escape into a book or Netflix series.

-----
I do have one disappointment. Our local trees aren't showing much color--not as a group, that is; individual ones are drop-dead gorgeous. Maybe that's the way it's going to be this year. We've already had some frosty nights. Guess I'll have to rummage through my digital photos and enjoy the color of previous years.

Last weekend we had strong winds (bringing down not only leaves but branches that made a racket on the roof). Since then we've had several beautiful sunny days. Not warm, mind you, but sunny. Great for lifting the spirits.

Hope you're having a beautiful autumn and that your days are fruitful and joyous.



from Autumn 2014



6 comments:

  1. I liked this. It sounds like a good week, and busy is so much better than boredom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get Doris's letter? I know you got mine--thrilling though it ain't!

      Delete
  2. No letter yet from AZ...and never underestimate the power of a letter from a friend. I don't look for thrilling, I look for the joy of a friend's company on the page. You have to admit, mine ain't thrilling either!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, no pressure, no pressure at all. Just so you know, you should get something extra in the post on Saturday. I liked this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course no pressure...none at all...and I'll be camped by the mail box from 9 AM on, come Saturday!

      Delete
  4. I do hope I get credit for calling three times a week and you only having to camp out for designated times ;-) Enjoyed this one, too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete