Thursday, August 20, 2020

PATIENCE!

Practically everyone has heard the ironic prayer: "Lord, give me patience, and right now!"

The importance of patience in our lives isn't easily defined--isn't easily obtained--and certainly isn't going to appear by a genie floating out of a bottle with a cloud of Patience to wrap us in.

Patience--like many other good and desirable characteristics--begins at home.





My daughter shared her thoughts on Patience: There's an element we call letting go--of preconceived ideas about what should happen, of timelines that suit us.

Most of all--we need to avoid the trap of thinking lack of success is somehow our own fault. It may be, that's true. But it may not. 

It all boils down to trust--things will happen when they happen. Many factors are out of our control. What seems simple to us may involve countless people between us and success. . . unknown hoops to jump through . . . procedures no one told us about.

-----



So! Perhaps Patience is not only hard-won but serves a purpose beyond the immediate attainment of a goal--Patience is a lesson to be learned. And if we accept Helen Keller's belief, the only way to learn Patience is through non-joyful events and circumstances.

I can't say I'm thrilled to suffer, even in a minor way, in order to learn Patience. But if I can accept that premise, then I know I'm in good company, for everyone is learning along with me.

-----



Hal Borland wrote many essays and books about nature. He lived among trees and mountains and gardens. He observed life through the lens of nature. And he shared his insights into human life by exploring and explaining life in the natural world.

People who live close to the land, like farmers, or who find joy in gardening and landscaping, know that Patience is a standard requirement if the end result, the harvest, is going to happen. 

Patience, along with persistence, is what accompanies the carpenter who builds a house, the sewist who embarks on a year-long project to make a quilt, the student who works year by year toward graduation; or the artist who brings a scene to life, the writer who tells the story of real people or fictional characters, the musician who practices for hours (perhaps for years) for one performance.

-----
My own understanding of Patience has come with age and aging. In my youth I was eager to get on, go higher and farther, not spend too much time in any one place or time. Keep going! More often than not, I got in my own way. 

Having children was a full-on lesson in Patience--every day, practically every hour, Patience was required. (Sadly, I wasn't very good at that lesson. Took a long time to cultivate a sense of letting go of unrealistic expectations.)

In an odd way, our current pandemic has increased my sense of Letting Go and biding my time. I can't make a difference in the curing of the virus. But I can look for ways to be safe and keep other people safe. Yes, I mourn the loss of freedoms we had--such as going to church, worshiping in person, receiving communion. But my life has slowed down and not only do I smell the roses, I see sunsets and meteor showers and planets that don't often come our way. 

Have a blessed week! And may Patience be yours.












4 comments:

  1. I don't have patience, even now, but I do admire it in others. And also try it in others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a focus on persistence can help me be more patient by living in the moment: persistence is about now...and now...and now.

    ReplyDelete