Thursday, December 9, 2021


INSPIRING THOUGHTS

Along about now, mid-December, I get a little off the path. Not in a good way--looking at new things, exploring different terrain--no, this is closer to losing my direction. Shouldn't happen, but it does.

First I notice my journal is going over and over the same territory--a little whine here, a criticism there, some self-pity around the edges--and I end my writing session wondering why I bother. 

Later I watch some tutorials online--painting, quilting, sewing--and that often gets me out of the doldrums. If it doesn't . . . then something drastic has to be done.

In my writing room I have a number of inspirational sayings on the walls and in frames sitting on the short filing cabinet. Here's one of my favorites:

     There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle,

      or the mirror that reflects it.

                            Edith Wharton (American author 1862-1937)

Edith Wharton was the first woman to receive the Pulitzer prize in 1921 for her novel Age of Innocence.

-----

Today I want to share inspirational thoughts from a variety of folks. If you need a lift, take one of these.


Ben Okri, born 1959, is a Nigerian poet and novelist.

-----


Ella Fitzgerald (1917-1996) was dubbed the "First Lady of Song." Known as a singer of American jazz.



-----

Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894) was a Scottish novelist. Many know him as the author of Treasure Island and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.



-----

Morgan Freeman (1937--); American actor, director, and narrator.




-----
Don't know about you, but I feel better just writing about these folks.

Have a good week!

Blessings,
Thursday's Child



No comments:

Post a Comment