Thursday, January 6, 2022

 UN-FOLD-ING

Unfolding is my word for a new year. My daughter and I have been thinking about how events of the past year have happened--some were generated by ourselves, some came about through the actions of others (nearby, far away), some seemed to have occurred by spontaneous combustion or by a current Big Bang or some other natural-or-not activity.

In a wait-and-see world such as we seem to be occupying at the moment, we've learned not to count on anything happening as it used to happen. Here are a few examples:

--appointments - messages left on our machine: "please call our office, we will have to reschedule the appointment for Judith that was set for ___." I call--no answer; or have to leave a message on their answering machine; or have to negotiate a date and time (in the unknown future) likely to work.

--instructions for medical tests - I still have the voice mail of the one that begins, "My name is Regina" followed by a very long recitation of something I think might be English, but is probably Spanish. I eventually discern "Dr. ___" and "echo" so I know this is a valid call--my cardiologist's office is giving me info so I can schedule a routine echocardiogram. There is a phone number at the end--completely clear, slowly spoken (same voice), and repeated. Also there is one sentence that stands out: "this must be done by January 22nd." So far I haven't called for an appointment; I've had a bout of flu that lasted from Christmas Day to current date. I'm waiting until I feel strong enough for the negotiations that will undoubtedly accompany my call.

--postcard reminder - this is the last one I'll mention. It came from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and advised me that I will need a proper vision test to renew my operator's license--call my eye doctor for an appointment--and the doctor is to use Form No. ABCXYZ321. If I've had an eye exam in the last 30 days it is still valid. Naturally I got the card after my eye exam has now expired (per the BMV). A phone call to my eye doctor reveals that they do not have the official form--I should contact my local BMV office.

-----

We've pretty well determined that mine isn't the only life going around like a pig on stilts. And not wishing to malign any person or entity, we're also pretty much agreed that it's really nobody's fault, exactly--it's just the state of things in the world in which we live at present.

So, you ask, why the word unfolding?

Well, now that life events appear less likely to follow the laws of reason . . . and logic has run off and hidden herself (who knows why) . . . we are adopting a new way to operate in a world that's going, going, gone off the rails. (Or so it seems.) The new way to deal with this is simple:

     Stand Still and Watch It Unfold

When old laws of action and reaction no longer work, and when trying to figure them out only results in a mangled brain, why not stop and look and listen? Then act. If possible.

-----


I've never been a huge fan of science fiction, but I have read a few authors I liked. And it occurs to me that we are now in the midst of somebody's fictional idea of an alternate universe. Yes, there's still gravity. Yes, we can see the sun-moon-stars-planets. Yes, we observe the change of seasons up here in Northeast Indiana--though we're not sure, currently, which season we're in (but that's another story).

Can I change any of what's happening? I have a sneaking suspicion that I cannot. 

And that's how standing still and watching life unfold came into being.

-----

I don't recommend this approach for everyone. For one thing, this response to life requires a greater amount of patience than most people have. Than I have, many days. This response means letting go of what we expect. And it will very likely mean accepting what we've always thought of as Unacceptable.

-----

I hope you find a word that helps you through the jungle of days ahead of you. Be sure to share what you find. You may help someone else.

And here's a final thought: 

     When you get ready to say something, ask yourself: are my words kind?


Blessings,

Thursday's Child




2 comments:

  1. What a great word for the year! I've given that up, although I'm kind of keeping "better" in my pocket for when I need it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better is great, better is hopeful...keep it handy and close to your heart!

      Delete