Thursday, February 17, 2022

LET'S HEAR IT FOR FOOD!

One of the downsides of illness--and there are many--is, or can be, loss of appetite.


I've always tended to retain excess poundage--we always called it our family heritage. Along the way, I heard it's not the tendency to gain weight that we inherit--it's the cookbook! I could relate to that!

In all my decades on this planet, I've seen diets and eating programs come and go. We've had expensive programs, free programs, doctor-sanctioned programs; we've had the diet-of-the-moment explained to us on every TV talk show; we now have dozens, scores (maybe hundreds?) of "diet" items available at every venue from the dollar store to the high-end food provider. Can't get out to shop? No problem! Just order it up and have it delivered. Or, if it's locally sold, drive by and have it loaded into your cargo area.

So, after all the above palaver about food and diets, here I am talking about loss of appetite.

I still had the sense of smell and sense of taste that I've relied on for my whole life. What I didn't have was the little voice in my head that said, "You know, that new can of soup you bought looks really delicious. Why not open it up and try a serving?"


I didn't bother. My daughter continued to roast chickens and root vegetables--when I thought I might be having hunger pangs (hard to tell when the appetite packs up and leaves town), I'd heat up a small bowl full of those offerings. They always tasted good, but a few bites were all I could manage.

Okay, enough about my eating problem.

We'll fast forward to this week. Food looks good, smells good, tastes good again. I've started eating the way I used to. Energy started to return (well, duh) with enough fuel on board.

Not everything is on my menu, but I've found several possible solutions to the great Loss of Appetite Dilemma. Such as:

--PBJ on toast. Not a new discovery by any means, but peanut butter on toast with a topping of some great jam/jelly/preserves has become a standard lunchtime treat for me. Not low cal, but satisfying. If I think I need more, I had some fresh fruit.

--Chicken salad on toast. We had a small amount of shredded white meat of chicken left from the most recent roasted bird. You want to make the World's Easiest Chicken Salad? Add a small spoonful of pickle relish and a little more than a spoonful of mayo; stir into the shredded or cut-up chicken. If you can manage to wait, let the flavors blend. If not, whip up the toast and pile on the salad.

--Soup--canned, when I don't have the energy to make my own. For those who need it, there are gluten-free varieties.

--Cheese and crackers--great snack. Protein, carbs, a little salt if you need it.

--Cheese and fruit--for those who are trying to avoid salt.

--Fruit in yogurt--I've been a fan of single-serving fruit cups for some time; no waste, no leftovers to store. A little more expensive than canned fruit, but for the live-alone crowd, worth it. And a fruit cup mixed with plain yogurt is cheaper than any combo I can buy at the store.

--My current favorite treat is a panini. I've never had one in a restaurant, but I remember making my own grilled cheese decades ago--this is the same thing with the addition of a slice or two of chicken (or your choice). And I can make it gluten-free. It's also filling, making it a perfect meal-in-one.

-----

Probably my greatest thrill was enjoying the taste of coffee again. I make my own--since I don't get out in the world much, I can't depend on the local coffee shops to provide my daily brew. And I like it a little less bold that the baristas pour.

All this discussion of food has me salivating. And it's nearly lunch time, so I'll sign off and see what's new in the refrigerator. A panini sounds wonderful. Or maybe a PBJ on toast. 

Ahh! Lovely to have an appetite again . . . all those choices!





No comments:

Post a Comment