Thursday, March 17, 2022

TIME--A CLICHE FESTIVAL 

Last week when we met, we examined Time as a part of our lives.

Aside: Did you know it's extremely difficult to write about Time as a subject without using the word over and over? True.

This week I want to look at phrases and sayings that have grown up around the word Time and the concept of time passing. F'rinstance:

--Time will tell - something will be made clear in the future.

--It's high time . . . - suggesting
some urgency to the subject being discussed.

--For the time being - at present; now; perhaps only for a short period in the future.

--In a timely manner - being on time, action occurring when it's supposed to, or when it's most needed.

--No time like the present - meant, I suspect, to move a reluctant person on toward an action.

-----

Other usages seem to be meant to reassure the listener, such as these:

--Take your time - no hurry, no worry, relax . . . .

--Time-worn - used to suggest the age of something, such as a written work, or the physical condition of a book, or music; or, perhaps, the lesser value of a phrase or philosophy; perhaps something not to be taken seriously.


--It's all in the timing - I don't know about you, but when I hear something is all in the timing, I tense up; timing isn't an attitude or a way of thinking that one adopts--it's earned, by practice. By hitting a ball, fielding a fly, swimming laps, learning how to run a half-marathon, speaking in front of an audience, training or teaching someone how to do something, leading.

-----

Then there are a few that fall between the cracks, such as:

--It's about time you ___ - this one seems to be a favorite of parents who want to shove the kid on toward some goal, but know there's not much they can do (legally) to make it happen. Can also be heard between spouses, sad to say.

--For old time's sake - I think of this one as a way to lay on the guilt. Or maybe it depends on how long ago the "old time" was.

--Time after time - another one that can fall off on the negative side; yet it can be used positively, such as "I could never get the hang of long division, but time after time my dad showed me how it was done."

-----

Recently I participated in a study of St. John's gospel--and on different occasions, Jesus says to his disciples, or to others, "My time has not yet come." Later, he says, "The time has come for me to glorify my father." 

Maybe there is something to getting the timing right. And, using the Christian example, it may not all be up to me.

-----

Blessings,

Thursday's Child








No comments:

Post a Comment