Thursday, February 9, 2023

 EVER HAVE AN OFF-DAY?


 Off-color? Off-side? Off-balance? Off-center? Off the wall?

Yeah, one of "those" days.

I wish I had some tried-and-true, absolutely surefire, and you-won't-believe-it advice for how to handle the Off Days. They're what the songwriter meant when he penned, "Into each life some rain must fall." Boy, was he right.

Off-Days can occur any time. Maybe you've noticed, though--they seem to spring upon us at a time when we positively don't need/want/desire such a thing to happen. They seem to have a mind and a menace of their own.

Here's a little of my own experience:

  • Off-days seemed drawn to the times I needed all my wits about me--for taking care of young children, going to college classes, teaching a room full of freshman students who, given their druthers, would've been swilling coffee in the Commons.
  • I eventually outgrew that phase of my life (all phases eventually go away, I've found).
  • Instead, I had a dog. Medium size, full of personality, IQ 'way up in the stratosphere (I swear she understood my brand of English). I loved that girl; she made my life more varied, more interesting. But as always happens, she aged, and in her later years returned to early puppy ways--mixed up days and nights, wanted to go out at one o'clock (AM), had no sense of seasons so the 1:00 AM voyage was pertinent any day/month/season of the year.
  • Her confused nights meant I also had confused nights. Sleep came in bits and pieces. And if her nights happened one after another, my next-day experiences were of the Off variety. Also one after another.
  • I wouldn't give up those years with Joy the Dog; I still miss her. But I'm realistic enough to know getting another dog is probably not going to work out. I still remember the Off-Days.
-----
You can make your own list of Off-Day triggers. COVID and its attendant uncertainties and effects is a common one for our global village. Inflation and resultant downsizing of businesses--or even annihilation of businesses--is also well-known.

Then there are your everyday concerns, or worries, or fears--you know what they are. Anything that steps into your life and knocks you even a little bit off-balance can end up with the following day(s) being Off.

-----
I said I don't have any answers (see paragraph 3 above). But I do have some thoughts. Maybe one of these will resonate with you:
  • For folks who find prayer helpful, that's a time to trot out all your everyday "stuff" and give it to your Supreme Being for safekeeping when you go to bed. 
  • If you have a favorite prayer or psalm, recite it when you go to bed. Changes your mind's landscape.
  • Some folks might explore therapy with a professional therapist.
  • Others might find a meaningful activity--music, art, physical exercise, crafts, working with charities, helping at a food bank--something attractive to them that will take them away from the other "stuff" that seems to bring only concern or worry. (It might also nudge the Off stuff into a lower place of importance. Been known to happen.)
  • Some folks swear by yoga--meditation--tai chi--running--biking--and so on. Find your place in the physical world if that appeals to you.
  • And if all else fails--Embrace the Beast. Meet your nemesis head-on--your worry, your concern, your fear. Embracing the problem isn't easy, I'll not kid you about that. But you can't live a life forever running away from the problem, or ignoring it, pretending it doesn't exist. 
    • Well, I guess you actually can do those things. But the results aren't worth the life you'll be living.
    • And, something to consider--it uses less energy to embrace than to fight. Hmm.
  • Sorry I can't give you some great resources to read or podcasts to listen to, to convince you how to deal with your Off-Days. But you can probably find something to help. Google thinks it knows everything. But people also know a lot. Talk to folks. Yes, you'll be vulnerable, putting yourself out there on a shaky, shivery, limb. However, is that any worse than living with worry/concern/fear that makes your days--and nights--a misery?
-----
We're not talking health issues here--if you have physical balance problems, that's a different kettle of fish, not to mention a horse of a different color. You know what to do about that kind of balance issue. For the emotional and mental off-ness, yes, take it seriously. In the meantime, we wish you fewer Off-Days, more joy in living, and a life of fulfillment.

Blessings,
Thursday's Child





No comments:

Post a Comment