Thursday, May 4, 2023


 POETRY

Do you know WENDELL BERRY? Here's what the Poetry Foundation says about him:

Poet, novelist, and environmentalist Wendell Berry lives in Port Royal, Kentucky near his birthplace, where he has maintained a farm for over 40 years. Mistrustful of technology, he holds deep reverence for the land and is a staunch defender of agrarian values. He is the author of over 50 books of poetry, fiction, and essays. His poetry celebrates the holiness of life and everyday miracles often taken for granted.

-----

Here's a sample of Berry's poetry, called "The Peace of Wild Things":


When despair grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting for their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-----

Here's another one, which he calls "A Warning to My Readers":

Do not think me gentle
because I speak in praise
of gentleness, or elegant
because I honor the grace
that keeps this world. I am
a man crude as any,
gross of speech, intolerant,
stubborn, angry, full
of fits and furies. That I
may have spoken well
at times, is not natural.
A wonder is what it is.

-----


And finally, one he calls "The Real Work":

It may be that when we no longer know what to do
we have come our real work,

and that when we no longer know which way to go
we have come to our real journey.

The mind that is not baffled is not employed.

The impeded stream is the one that sings.

-----

There you have it--an introduction to American poet Wendell Berry. If you look him up online, you'll find many of his poems, as well as more biographical notes. In a library, you may find several of his 50 books of poetry!

 -----

Wishing you blessed days as we go forward!

Thursday's Child



1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I'd heard of him, but had never read his work.

    ReplyDelete