Thursday, June 8, 2023

 IT'S A SORTA-KINDA DAY

From time to time I reflect on how Life is going. Is Life moving along at a nice rate, not too fast, not too slow? 

Or is Life taking one detour after another (rather like the ones road construction projects generate in my town)?

Can I compare this day to another day like this, say, a year ago? Or is this year something like last year?

One thing is certain: Life keeps going. Period. Whatever we do/say/want/demand . . . makes no difference. 

So! What I've discovered--and have decided is the best way for me to move forward--is to adjust. Not adjust the day or event or other people--adjust my own attitude toward what is going on in Life.

-----

Although I'm not looking for scapegoats here, I believe we need to accept that the COVID-19 pandemic made huge changes in our lives.

Sure, you say, we all know about working from home--home schooling--virtual everything:  learning/meetings/celebrations. I had a party for my 80th birthday via Zoom. Didn't have a cast of thousands, but I had lots of folks "drop by" to visit a little and wish me a happy day.

Shopping? Even folks who don't need to take special precautions out in public use the Internet for purchasing, well, practically anything! Order groceries? They'll be delivered, or you can pick them up in the specially marked-out lanes for pick-up. Pharmacy items ready? Buzz the drive-through lane.

Medical stuff? Yes, some visits with physicians can be done by phone or virtually.

Need to learn about something? One of the largest repositories of information resides on YouTube. You can search for the answer to practically any question, from cookery to calculus to cutting down a tree. You can watch demonstrations and tutorials on many forms of art making. All free, unless you want to pay to see your videos without ads. Automotive? Yup, that's covered, too. Or making a quilt. Or repairing/mending your clothes. Or building a--well, you name it. Somebody's got a video showing how to build one of those.

-----


Hate to admit it, but I sometimes wish we had our "old life" back--before we had a major change in our habits and activities to protect folks from sharing a virus that could be more dangerous than we knew at first.

But, other times, I recognize and accept that this is "life as it now is," with changes that can be either turned to our advantage and work for good, or rejected and bring us misery.

The title of today's post, "It's a Sorta-Kinda Day," reflects my own attitude. I think I'm on a continuum between "old life" and "this life now." I still do some of my old things, and I try to embrace the new. Success varies.

It doesn't mean I'm just sort-kinda living. Definitely not that. Rather, I can't pin down Life as it now is and say "It's like this." Or, "It's not like that." 

If you ask me if I'm happy with Life as it is now, I'd answer, "Sorta-kinda." Yes, I know it's right next door to fence-sitting. But hey--if I'm comfortable there, why should I leave? On the other hand, when I'm ready to get down off the fence, I can do that. And you'll probably be the first to know.

-----

Blessings,

Thursday's Child



1 comment:

  1. I wish sometimes we had life before internet back, because of what the crazies are doing--particularly with AI--and yet I think it's given us so many gifts. Since I'm not much of a "things" person, I love looking things up the easy way and don't even miss reference books. Although I've kept most of them because they were gifts. :-) Nice post, Judith.

    ReplyDelete