Thursday, January 11, 2024

IT'S STILL THE NEW YEAR . . .

We're eleven days into 2024! Eleven days!! 

Several years ago I wrote about New Year's Resolutions--I called mine Intentions for the new year.

Some people do their bah-humbug routine when resolutions are mentioned.

Then--I saw something new (to me)--New Year's Dissolutions.

That's right, dissolutions. All about--giving up.

-----

Okay, doesn't sound like much of anything, does it? After all, sometimes our resolutions or intentions were about giving up--coffee, alcohol, tobacco, sweets, games . . . .

But I think there's something in there for us. I came up with three levels of giving up:

  • EASY
  • MIDDLIN'
  • CHALLENGING
Let's explore:

The easiest, seems to me, is about things. Stuff. Excess physical possessions.
Examples:
  • clothing that no longer fits
  • clothing that is out of style (though this bothers me not much a-tall)
  • books I won't read again
  • music books (not needed now that I've given up the organ)
  • movie DVDs and music CDs that I haven't watched/listened to for years
You get the idea. You can make your own list.

The middlin' category gets a little closer to home--our activities and behaviors:
  • too many appointments
  • too many commitments (even good things, like fitness classes or courses in one of our hobbies
  • too many "haftas"--as in, I hafta visit my friend every Saturday, or I hafta go to the nursing home and help out, or I hafta take my turn reading to little kids at the library (sometimes these are "shoulds")
Finally, the challenging category:
  • ourselves--beyond possessions, beyond activities, beyond behaviors
  • what is there about this self each of us inhabits that can be improved by giving up an attitude or a belief? Or a relationship? Or a job?
  • how do we go about that? How would I know what to give up?

-----
As you have already figured out, there are no right-or-wrong answers here. And this is very definitely NOT a one-size-fits-all. There is no one size.

My excess physical baggage may be just what you want or need. Great! I'll take that stuff to the thrift store or the library and donate it. If I can't quite gift it, I'll put it on ebay or one of the other vending sites.

My excess behaviors and activities won't be yours. Maybe your tolerance for a busy life is higher than mine. My low-activity tolerance allows me time to think, meditate, work out stories to write or pictures to paint. But then, I'm not you.

My challenging category is something I've been working on for decades. The only lesson I've learned is this: I learn as I go along. I give up something; how do I feel about that? I explore new ways of thinking, new beliefs; I read biographies and memoirs (all kinds); I research the lives of writers, painters, poets, members of religious communities, and I struggle to understand what each person thinks, feels, understands, and then communicates. If there's something for me in that exploration, then I keep it, and go forward. If not, I walk on and look some more.

-----
Here's a happy thought: A new year can begin any time! In our culture, and in this present day, January 1st is the signal for a new year to begin. In reality, any day is the beginning of a new year. (Remember this saying? "This is the first day of the rest of my life." Cliche now, but once had some significance. Maybe it still does.) 

Bottom line: You can choose when to start your new year.

An artist I follow online has a mini-course in setting a creative brief. One of her first comments was this: You don't have to start this now. Your "new year" can start any time. You will be reviewing your own work, and that can start again and again.

-----
I wish you good fortune in your search for a new year. If you choose "dissolutions," I hope that works out for you.

Blessings,
Thursday's Child




1 comment:

  1. I like this. I always start the year with "intentions," and never feel too bad about failing. We need to rent a grandkid and a truck to haul away those things in the "easy" category!

    ReplyDelete