IT'S ALMOST AUGUST!
You scanned through the filled-in squares on your cell phone calendar, right? Mine has a couple of birthdays!
So you're ready to go! New month day after tomorrow. August, 8th month of our year, named in honor of the Roman emperor Augustus, in the year 8 BCE.
If you want to know more "awesome" things about August, check out The Fact Site.
-----
In my neighborhood, folks are keeping up with the lawn (heavy rains every so often keep us green, but also make mowing a necessity, whether we have the time or energy or not.
No doubt stores are crowded with parents filling shopping carts with school clothes and classroom supplies, plus the family groceries. I have to say, I don't miss that part of my life; getting four kids ready for a new school year was a job in itself.
-----
In these last few days before the big yellow buses trundle down the street to pick up students, there'll be last-minute swims, fishing trips, picnics, family visits with grandparents, maybe even a short car trip to a campground.
Once the school doors open, left-behind parents can take a deep breath, maybe drink another cup of coffee, and stop running so fast. Even leaving the house to go work will seem easier.
-----
August always signals for me the beginning of canning season. Even though I no longer have a garden to tend, nurture, and harvest, I think of my children who have big gardens and will soon be canning tomatoes, green beans, and squash among other delicious homegrown treats; then when the weather chills everything and fresh stuff is about gone, it'll be time to make jams and jellies.
Having done all those things in another life (long before I retired), I know how much work is involved. When I receive gifts of canned goods from my family, I honor the hard work and hours spent bending over plants they tend, along with the late night sessions with hot water baths and pressure cooking (for the canning processes).
-----
Wishing you a joyful August--wherever you are, whatever you're doing, whatever season you're experiencing.
Blessings,
Thursday's Child
No comments:
Post a Comment