CELEBRATING MARK TWAIN
He was born November 30, 1835, in Florida, Missouri. He was christened Samuel Cleghorn Clemens.
If you were around in the first half of the 20th Century, you probably met the author (who adopted the name Mark Twain) in your school work. Two of his best known books (still read) are Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. And a well-known short story, often anthologized, is "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County."
Some writers claim Mark Twain was known for his optimism. Others claim he lost that optimism as he aged and death claimed his loved ones.
Today, let's celebrate the optimistic--and humorous--Mark Twain. Some of his wisdom still rings true!
-----
One of my favorites:
"The older I get, the more clearly I remember things that never happened."
-----
-----
If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And If it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first. — Mark Twain
This quotation was used as the basis of a how-to book on getting things done. Don't remember the name of it, but I did read it.
-----
The secret of getting ahead is getting started. --Mark Twain
Still good advice--I see it on nearly every art video these days.
-----
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. --Mark Twain
-----
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. --
Mark Twain
-----
But the main quote I read that started me thinking about a topic for this post was the following:
What a good thing Adam had--when he said a good thing, he knew nobody had said it before him.--Mark Twain
Blessings,
Thursday's Child
![]() |
| Autumn is coming! |

The book is called “Eat That Frog” and the author is Brian Tracy. There’s a fourth edition if you want a refresher.
ReplyDelete