Thursday, December 6, 2018

HERE WE GO!



Part of the winter scene--in days gone by and still today--was and is sledding. 

Somehow that snowy activity never caught on with me. It wasn't the cold--I had snowsuits, mittens, boots, the whole kit, enough to keep me warm for at least a half-hour of fun.

Fun? Not for me. Did you know that the only way you can race downhill on a sled is first to walk up the hill pulling the sled? Of course you did. And once there, you hopped on the sled, pushed off, and zipped down faster than a speeding bullet, to the bottom. Thrill? Of course it's a thrill. Until you have to haul the sled up the hill again. The fourth or fifth time, unless you're super-energetic, is when sledding became no-fun-at-all for me.

-----
The reason I bring up sledding is to make it an analogy for this time of preparation for the holidays.

When I taught freshman composition, we had to learn the difference between metaphor and analogy. Metaphor is simple: A=B. Analogy is about process: Process A is like Process B.

Today: Preparing for the Holidays is like Sledding.

Things go along smoothly for a time as we're going faster and faster downhill. Then we hit a bump. (You name it--flu, unexpected expense for the house/car/kids, order didn't arrive, unexpected visitors did arrive . . . .)

Finally we get to the bottom of that particular hill. Then it's up the hill again, for another run. And another. And still another.

-----
My downhill progress was halted until the new flooring was installed, furniture has been restored to its rightful place in the living and dining rooms, some chairs donned new vinyl tips to prevent their scuffing the new floors . . . whereupon life began revving up again to its recognizable downhill pace.

Yesterday's list included sewing Christmas gifts--checked off a couple of items there.

The festive season is also a time of preparing and delivering veggie trays or brownies & tangerines--made a good start there. Some will be delivered this week, some next week.

Christmas cards are scattered on the desk waiting for addresses and stamps, and in some, there will be notes to write. (Had to buy new cards this year--the old ones went off and hid somewhere. They also took with them the Christmas stamps I like to use. Note: Add stamps to tomorrow's shopping list.)

Most days you'll find me with my head in a tote stuffed with Advent music. And after that, it'll be music for Christmas Day and the following Sunday's Lessons & Carols.

-----
Yes, it's all happening, day by day, hour by hour. My challenge is to keep focused on one project long enough to get it finished. For us list makers, there's nothing so exciting as crossing off a completed task. There may be 99 more tasks to be done, but the one that's over and done with signals a moment of celebration.

One great big plus for this season--there's no time to get bored or wonder what to do!


Each day brings more hours to give to food prep or note writing or gift wrapping or music practice . . . .

I'm not crazy about the hectic pace. Downhill speed isn't my style.  Super-saturated lists don't make me smile. Discovering I'm out of gift bags/wrapping paper/ribbons and bows doesn't quite make it to the panic stage, but I'd rather have things to hand. (Another bunch of stuff to add to the shopping list.)

-----
Back in the '60s we urged everyone to "stop and smell the roses," just in case they were too busy to enjoy life.

Over the years I've taken time to enjoy a great many things in my life. Today I give thanks for my youngest daughter, whose birthday it is. We'll visit by phone later in the afternoon and compare my weather in Indiana with her weather in Minnesota. We'll catch up on what's happening in our lives. 

I am grateful for family and for friends, for weather that hasn't become too difficult (yet), for people to give gifts to, and for time and energy to make many of my gifts.

Most of all, may I stop my sled's downhill race and appreciate this season--Advent into Christmas--for what it means.

May all your sledding be free of rocks and bumps, and the trip back up the hill easy.





1 comment:

  1. I think you have the right idea. I'm downhill-racing, and I'm enjoying every bit of it. And yet...I'm tired and don't want to be. Merry Days, my friend--keep taking them slow.

    ReplyDelete