Thursday, March 21, 2019

SPRING - DAY 2

March here in the Northeast Corner didn't come in like a lion, nor did it seem especially lamb-like. It just sort of crept in and stayed.

Spring, in similar fashion, didn't make a big whoop-de-doo about her arrival--daytime temps ranged in the 40s, and nighttime temps in the 30s didn't make any difference to the roads. We've had a couple of light rains, but not enough to call it a rainy day. Grass isn't any greener--only that left-over green of winter.

Maybe I'm impatient--after all, this is only Day 2 of the new season. I didn't expect instant warm breezes, flowers popping up in full bloom, grass ready to mow.


Redbud - one of the earliest
to bloom in my corner

But I have seen some lovely encouraging seasonal changes.

Sunday on the way home from church two robins raced across the bows of my SUV and behind them a red-winged blackbird came close enough to wink at me. (Well, a little exaggeration there. It was pretty close, though.)

My resurrection lilies are up. Stems are about five inches high and the bed spreads every year. Should be dozens of flowers this year.

A friend who lives outside of town told me her crocuses are up. But I haven't seen my neighbor's daffodils that always burst into golden glory early in the season. I check on them every day.

Friends in Fort Wayne report their neighbors are cleaning and putting away the snow blowers. Getting out lawn mowing equipment. Hmm. Wonder if they know something the rest of us don't?

-----
I still love Mark Twain's tongue-in-cheek comment on Spring weather. He's probably right!

Enjoy your segue into Spring!






2 comments:

  1. It's too gloomy here to see too much spring, but the birdsong is downright inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the crocus and the redbud trees. It was always a beautiful drive between Fort Wayne and Garrett with the particular green of the new growth in the woods dotted with the pink of the redbuds.

    ReplyDelete