Thursday, June 23, 2022

WHAT DOES GRATITUDE LOOK LIKE?

Line up ten people, ask that question, and you'll get--you guessed it--ten different answers!


Today you'll get my version.

Now that it's summer, my fourth favorite season, I decided to challenge myself. I asked: "What can I be grateful for when I don't feel grateful?"

(Please don't gasp--it distracts others.)

Since I've never had a single original thought in my life--and having lived so long I recognize that as a fact, not a stain on my character--I know I'm not the only person who has asked that question. Some days, it's just like that.

Here's an example:

  • We are now into the second full day of Summer.
  • The temp is hovering in the 90s.
  • Humidity likes to hover with the temp.
  • The sun is up! (Of course it is, this is summer.)
  • It's daylight out there 'way earlier than working folks should be up--but they hope to beat the heat & humidity (see above) if they get lawns mowed, gutters cleaned out, roofs put on . . . .
Just so we're clear, this is my list. If you don't like mine, make your own.

The challenge: Look out my window and name 5 things (yes, 5) I see out there that I'm grateful for. Take a deep breath . . . ready?
  1. Green. Lots of green out there. Or, I should say, lots of greens--dark green, pale green, yellow green, rusty green (I know, it sounds silly, but that's what it looks like). To give your eye a chance to rest, there are also reds (Japanese maples), purples and pinks (flowering bushes), and yellows (flower beds and dandelions in bloom). 
  2. Shade. For the moment, no one is chopping down any trees in my vicinity. Every time I see a tree being reduced to logs and sawdust, I weep inside--we lose a little of our natural combatant to the increasing carbon footprint. Yes, a new tree will (perhaps) be planted--but it'll take years to grow and provide shade.
  3. Breeze. Okay, I don't actually see the breeze, but I see the trees, bushes, and bird feeders swaying back and forth. By the way, did you know birds don't really care that their feeders sway around while they're at lunch? Can you imagine being in a swaying cafe while trying to chow down on a burger and fries? Or a bowl of chili? The mind boggles.

  4. Neat lawns. My neighborhood is blessed with folks who either mow their own lawns or hire it done. At present all the houses on my long block are occupied or at least owned and maintained by folks who hope to live in them some day. That means there are no patches of knee-high weeds-and-grass that announce "This Property Is Unoccupied."
  5. Animal Life. Birds, chipmunks, squirrels. Dogs. Cats. People (usually walking the dogs, or vice versa). A few kids on bikes but that's usually out front on the street; the alley is one-lane wide and not safe for bikes and cars together.
There are my five offerings for gratitude this day. And I didn't even get into people stuff: visits from out-of-town friends, letters and emails and texts from people I care about.

Shall we do a "moral of the story"? It would be this:
  • Open your eyes--really look at what's out there; and when you see something you like, smile and say, "Thank you."
  • That's gratitude, in a nutshell.
Blessings abundant,
Thursday's Child







1 comment:

  1. One thing gained by age is the realization of how easy (and necessary) gratitude is. I enjoyed this, even if I am late saying so. :-)

    ReplyDelete