Thursday, August 25, 2022

SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT AUGUST 


There are many good things about the month of August. The eighth month of our calendar year has a lot going for it. So I made a list and came up with seven things to celebrate, if only in a quiet way.

  1. Not-too-warm days--80s aren't bad for our corner of the kingdom, especially if the humidity stays lower.
  2. Cool nights--haven't turned on the heat every night, but a few "cool" nights hovered around "chilly" and I tried a low setting for heat. Changed my mind later, and piled on covers. (There's a reason I made all those quilts.)
  3. Birthdays--Greatgrandson Bayne is now six years old (you may remember him as a 6-month baby, weighing 2.2 lbs. at birth--much bigger now). Friend Liz is something-or-other years old now, and writing her wonderful romance and women's fiction books.
  4. Garden produce has started rolling in. Last night I was gifted a bag of summer and zucchini squash, along with a dozen or more new crop peaches from my Ohio daughter's tree. Ummmm!
  5. School has started in several counties up here in Northeast Indiana. School's opening was always a big deal for me, especially when I was in school myself. Now that I'm out of the school-age business, I still get a kick out of seeing big yellow school buses parked in school lots, waiting for the end of the day. 
  6. Road repairs are being finished. This is a so-so contribution to nice things to say about August. I spent twenty minutes yesterday trying to get to an appointment located only five minutes from my house. Fortunately everyone in that office knew what was going on so I didn't get any demerits. And once the roadwork is finished, I'll be one of the folks who says, "Wow, didn't realize how bad they were! This is great!" (The key word here is finished.)
  7. Another sorta good thing: When the oven died on our kitchen range, we had to come up with alternative ways to cook the things we normally have on our menu. Those items were always prepared by baking or roasting. While we wait for some kind of help to revive the oven, my daughter trawled websites and came up with slow cooker and Dutch oven (stovetop) ways to "roast" a chicken. So the good thing about this is: We had to figure out something and exercise our creative muscles. (We being the royal "we"--it was all up to Lis.)
-----
I'm sure there are a lot more good things to say about August. They'll have to wait till 2023 though. Next Thursday is September 1st! Really!!

Hope your August was enjoyable. See you next month for the start of what I always think of as autumn. (I know it doesn't come until the autumnal equinox around the 21st of September, but I don't want to be late.)

Blessings,
Thursday's Child


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this. I wish I could see an end in sight for roadwork in this neck of the woods, but I'm not. Oh, and I"m 72 and enjoying it a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete