Thursday, October 20, 2022

  CHANGE

[I'm repeating this post because (1) it's timely and (2) I've been distracted and sidetracked by a dying furnace . . . not a good thing with Autumn getting into high gear. So here's what I wrote some time ago. Hope it says something positive to you.]

We've just finished one third of the season of Autumn, and already I sense the big shift in temperatures, hours of daylight, amount of rain or sun. This time of year always finds me unsettled--not because of the weather, exactly, but because I know Autumn is progressing and will come to an end, and we'll be engulfed in Winter. I don't mean to hurry the seasons along--they seem to do quite well by themselves. If I could, I'd slow them down, so I could savor the sunny days and the few warm breezes that come my way. Yet, change is inevitable--time passes, life goes on, and everything changes. Everything.

You can always tell when the season is shifting, because I blog about transitions and change. Here’s the latest batch—they’re all visuals because I don’t have anything new to say about change.



 C. S. Lewis, known to many as the creator of The Chronicles of Narnia, became a Christian late in life and wrote many books about faith.











Maya Angelou is known for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, as well as for many volumes of poetry.












Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic.












My  story--my life--is in my hands. Staggering thought, isn't it?






One early morning gratitude--mumbled while your eyes are trying to open, before the morning jolt of caffeine, before your feet hit the floor--just one expression of thankfulness can make a difference in how your day starts, continues, and ends.


-----
Change is taking place in my neighborhood. In the past year, three houses have sold, two at auction, a third in a private sale. This is remarkable because the whole street--one block long--has only 13 houses. 

Of the current occupants, only three were here when I moved in 36 years ago. We don't change quickly, but when we do--wow! Look out, world!

I expect to be here several more years--probably not 36, given the age I've attained. And I've made changes to my house; more coming shortly when the guys arrive to install a new furnace.

Since change is inevitable, you--and I--might as well try to embrace it.

Have a wonderful week!



1 comment: