Thursday, March 30, 2023

 MARCH MISCELLANY

Day after tomorrow, it'll be April Fool's Day.

Resurrection Lilies, in progress
The next day will be Palm Sunday.

Another week passes, and it's Easter.

Somehow, March snuck by me and I didn't even notice. But I can't say I'm sorry to see it go--it came in lionish and seems to be going out with the same attitude.

Whatever happened to "In like a lion, out like a lamb"?

I'm not the only person who has picked up on the yo-yo activity of March weather. In fact, the whole winter went bouncing up and down on a string. Maybe this is all localized here in Hoosier land--or maybe, just in my own neighborhood. 

But whatever the causes, I'm trusting the weather to mind its manners after Easter. That was what I learned when I became an adopted Hoosier 60 years ago (makes me faint to write that number). But, yes, that was the prevailing wisdom: Don't expect nice weather until after Easter. 

I'm not so gullible that I believe that 100%. But it does have a nice positive feel to it.

-----

What else is going on in March?

Friends report their kids are entering the last trimester of high school. Baseball teams are being chosen. School golf teams are gearing up for some tournaments. Nursing students are nearing the end of their studies. 

The view outside my windows includes:

  • green grass (same color it was all winter when the snow melted)
  • green shrubs (never change color)
  • green leaves on the Resurrection Lily bed--that's new. Last year's dried tree leaves covered that patch all winter--the lily leaves are not long but they're thick and very green
  • dog walkers every morning
  • birds que-ing up for seed and suet several times a day
  • deciduous trees still shy--no buds, no leaves, no blooms
As I hinted a few paragraphs ago, we need a change in the weather.

-----
All kinds of things happened in March, in days gone by. Fr'instance:
  • 1872 - Yellowstone becomes the U.S.'s first national park.
  • 1932 - The Hoover Dam is completed. 
  • 1958 - U.S. launches Explorer I, its first satellite. 
  • 1961 - The U.S. Peace Corps was founded.
If you want to know more, just type in "what happened in March in history?" and your browser will bring up all-sorts. Be prepared--it'll include the good, the bad, and the ugly.

-----
So today we say goodbye to March. Next week we'll be coming to you from a spot in April--a month that always makes me think of sunshine. 

Blessings,
Thursday's Child

coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment