Thursday, August 20, 2026

LET'S HEAR IT FOR *GRATITUDE*

 

 

That's right - G R A T I T U D E.

Yes, I know it's August.

Yes, I recall Thanksgiving time is celebrated the fourth Thursday in November here in the USA.

And yes, I recall church liturgy reminds us to "give thanks" and some of those injunctions include the word "always." Or, "in all circumstances."

So right now, here in the last third of the eighth month of 2026, I am going to share with you some of my personal thankfulnesses.

Part 1 - Daily Life

My small town (pop. 12000-15000) has undergone changes. Yet my day-to-day existence remains recognizable and livable. Streets undergo construction to keep them up to date and safe. Businesses leave (due to the ups and downs of the economy) and new businesses come in to keep life viable. We have doctors, clinics, a hospital with ties to a large hospital only 20 miles away. We have a multi-purpose library to serve the needs of all ages, babies to elders. We can shop locally at large stores, or we can shop online--shipping is often from a nearby warehouse.

Part 2 -  Opportunities 

Now that Internet is a fixture of life, I can study anything that takes my fancy--online classes (for credit or not); hobby interests on websites devoted to teaching, trouble-shooting, encouraging, providing a virtual community of like-minded people like me. Without leaving my home, I can find answers to my art, quilting, knitting dilemmas. Or I can look up answers to questions that arise in the story I'm writing, currently medical info.

Part 3 - People

Late at night, I can shoot an email to a friend or family member. If I want a quick answer (earlier in the day) I can text. I'm not tied to the telephone for communication (medical providers recognize the value of a place for Internet Q & A). I can renew a subscription online, pay bills, and many other options.

Part 4 - What I Can't Do

Change the weather--tried but the website was always too busy to take my request. Physically return an unsatisfactory item I ordered. Get my teeth cleaned or have fillings replaced. Have blood drawn without going out to the lab. Reach out and touch your hand, give you a hug if you need one. I can weep with you, though you may not see it.

-----

I'm grateful for all of the above. No doubt I've left out something important, but there's always another time. (Only two months to November.)

Today I'm grateful that the weather is moderating, as the season begins to change. I am grateful for appliances that still do their jobs without complaint (some after many years of service). I am grateful that I can still get out and do some of my errands, and have the help of my youngest daughter so I can continue to live in my own home. And I am grateful for family and friends, neighbors and other folks in my community, who keep life humming along. 

Thank you for your support in reading and sharing your thoughts. I'm grateful for every one of you!

Blessings,

Thursday's Child

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment